Cooper's Hawk | Temporary COVID-19 Furlough

This page has three categories: General, Unemployment, and Benefits. For further assistance, please contact our COVID Support Team at [email protected] or the HR Support Line at 331-233-5460.

General Questions

Why am I being placed on a temporary COVID-19 furlough?

We have had to make some tough decisions because of the COVID-19 pandemic and the State mandates to once again close indoor dining.

Am I still employed with Cooper’s Hawk during the furlough?

Yes, you are still employed with Cooper’s Hawk during the temporary furlough. A temporary furlough is similar to a leave of absence.

How long will this furlough last?

We do not know how long these furloughs will last but it is our intent for all Temporarily Furloughed Hourly Team Members to return once the state's orders are lifted and we can resume indoor dining. We will continue to monitor new developments from the state and federal government mandates and communicate with all Team Members once we know when our Restaurants will be fully operational again.

What is the difference between losing hours and being furloughed?

If furloughed, Team Members will not be scheduled or working any hours. If your hours have been reduced, you are still working and active in our systems. You can apply for unemployment in both scenarios.

How will I receive my paycheck? What is the timeframe that will be included?

Login to Paylocity, by computer or mobile app, to update your address or contact our Payroll Team at [email protected] for assistance.

Will my direct deposit be cancelled during the furlough?

No, your upcoming paycheck(s) will be processed the same as your previous checks. If you are not enrolled in direct deposit a live check will be mailed to your home address.

Will I receive something in writing confirming that I am on a temporary COVID-19 furlough?

Yes. Impacted Team Members received an email from COVID Questions email address. That is your official notice of the temporary furlough and will include the effective date of the furlough.

If I find another job while I am furloughed, what should I do?

While you are furloughed, you are welcome to find temporary work to supplement your income. If you find a permanent position and do not plan to return to the Restaurants, please notify your manager and provide written notice via Hot Schedules.

While furloughed, are you offering Team Member Meals for pickup?

Yes. We will be offering Team Members Meals starting on Monday, October 26. Please check Hot Schedules for the dates and times.

Does Cooper’s Hawk have to follow mandates related COVID-19?

Yes. We are required to follow government mandates in all states we operate in. Cooper’s Hawk is committed to helping mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and will fully comply with local and state mandates. We review and implement protocols as they arise.


What is unemployment insurance benefits?

Unemployment insurance is a state-operated insurance program designed to partially replace lost wages when you are temporarily out of a job.

How do I apply?

Please visit to learn more about how to file a claim. The Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) for Cooper’s Hawk Intermediate Holding, LLC is 27-1756724. When filing, you will need to select the reason code: laid off (lack of work).

Do I have to apply?

Yes. To receive monetary unemployment insurance benefits, you must apply. Cooper’s Hawk cannot apply on your behalf. Team Members can apply using at the following link:

Am I eligible?

A temporary furlough may qualify you for unemployment insurance benefits. Cooper's Hawk has already communicated with the State regarding our temporary furlough, so that should help the filing process go quicker.

How much will I receive?

It depends on a few factors including eligibility, dependents, wages/income earned and how long you’ve worked at Cooper’s Hawk. Once you have filed a claim, the State will tell you how much you are eligible for. This is called your weekly benefit amount (WBA).

What’s the difference between filing a claim and certifying?

Filing a claim is the application process for the State to determine whether you qualify for unemployment benefits. Certifying is a process that occurs every 1-2 weeks after you have filed your claim.

How often do I need to login to the unemployment website?

To maintain your eligibility for current and future unemployment insurance benefits, you must re-certify, either once a week or every two weeks depending on the State. You will be assigned a certification day and will be asked questions about if you worked any hours, etc.. Visit the State’s unemployment website for detailed instructions.

I just started working at Cooper’s Hawk. Am I eligible?

We encourage all Team Members who are temporarily furloughed to apply for unemployment. If your initial unemployment claim is denied, please contact the State’s unemployment office to help support with appealing the decision.

Should I apply if my hours were reduced?

Yes. Reduced hours may qualify you for unemployment insurance benefits. You would report your hours/wages worked to the State to show the reduction in hours.

Where do I find information about my wages and hours worked?

Your Office Manager can provide hours worked for a specific week or pay period. To download your check stubs, login to Enter Company ID: 15200, username and password & select the “Login” button. From the Self-Service Portal, click on the "Employees" tab at the top of the page and select "Employee Payroll File". Click on the "Pay" tab. Your check stubs are located there.

What resources are available for me besides unemployment?

Cook Co., IL Only: Cook County President Toni Preckwinkle launched a new program giving 3K residents a one-time payment of $600. Proof of residency, government-issued ID, and hardship needed to apply. More information available at

For IL Only:
The Illinois Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (IRAEF) has developed the Restaurant Employee Relief Fund to provide financial support to restaurant workers in need. Proof of residency, recent paystub and verification of impact by COVID required. Application available in English and Spanish. More information available at

Also available for IL Team Members,
Illinois has launched a new initiative to help Illinois families access and afford home energy assistance and other essential services during COVID-19.Building on the State’s Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) program, the State’s Fiscal Year 2021 (FY 21) budget authorizes an expansion of the LIHEAP and CSBG programs for eligible Illinoisans seeking emergency assistance to cover costs of utility bills, rent, temporary shelter, food, and other household necessities. More information and online form available at:

Michigan Team Members:
The Michigan Restaurant & Lodging Association Educational Foundation has developed a grant to provide financial support to restaurant workers in need. Employment details, pay stubs from November 1-18, 2020 or letter verification of impact by COVID required. The application period opens on January 15 and will be available until January 25. More information available at

We will continue to add more of these resources as they become available.


What happens to my medical, dental and/or vision insurance during the furlough?

If you are currently enrolled in the Cooper’s Hawk health insurance benefits, all will continue during the furlough.

Can I still schedule appointments and fill my prescriptions?

Yes. If you are currently enrolled in the Cooper’s Hawk health insurance, your coverage will continue as normal.

Will my insurance benefits cover me if I get COVID-19?

Yes, illnesses that require medical attention are covered by Cooper's Hawk benefits, according to the plan you have selected.

I need to go to the doctor for something minor but do not want to leave my house. What are my options?

Our health insurance plan covers telemedicine through MDLive. You may choose to use this if you or your covered dependents are not feeling well, but do not want to go to the hospital and risk additional exposure to illnesses. Register at today, then download the mobile app or call 888-676-4204 to utilize this program.

Are there any counseling services or resources available for myself and family?

Yes. We encourage you to contact our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) during the temporary furlough. It is another resource available for all Team Members and their families. It’s free, available 24/7 and provides online resources and confidential counseling (up to 5 sessions paid by Cooper’ Hawk). Contact 888-881-5462 or for additional support.

What happens to my 2020 tax return if I am still on furlough?

W-2s will be available by January 31, 2021. To view your previous W-2s and 1095-C, login to Enter Company ID: 15200, enter username and password & select the “Login” button. From the Self-Service Portal, click on the "Employees" tab at the top of the page and select "Employee Payroll File". Click on the "Pay" tab. Click on "Tax Forms" and then select the “Tax Year” link.